Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day 5~ Love is not RUDE....


I hope things are going good for you ladies and that you have dug in and are giving this 100%!! On of my good friends got a "talking to" by her sweet Momma and she said this, "If you are going to do this...than give it all you got"! Those may not have been her exact words, but they were good enough for us to realize that we have to give this our all.....to get after it...to dig deep......to commit....to "get 'er done"!!

Today's devotion is about being rude...which is described as "unnecessarily saying or doing things that are unpleasant for another person to be around". As I was reading over the book so many things popped into my mind about how I act rude to my husband. How I get irritated with him and then proceed to be rude to him or snap at him. When I am disciplining one of my children for having the wrong attitude towards something...I tell them this "You control how you respond...how your respond is your responsibility and it is not their fault". They like to blame each other for their bad attitudes and rudeness...and yet, I can do the same thing! If the trash doesn't get taken out....rude. If I feel like I have done it all on my own for the day.....rude. If I have had a tough day....rude. If my jeans were too tight.....rude. Do you see where I am going? I am rude to people when my circumstances cause me to have a bad attitude...and then I take it out on those I love!

I loved the quote that says "I value you enough to exercise some self control around you"...cause lets be real...we do it around others. We should treat our spouses like they are the most important people to us. We should have self control around them....learn to use our words and not be rude...to have patience...to love...to be kind. They all build upon one another!

I will leave you with the three guiding principles to etiquette:

Guard the Golden Rule: treat your husband the way you want to be treated!

No double standards: Be considerate to your husband as you are to strangers and to your friends!

Honor Requests: Consider what you husband asks you to do or not do...if you don't know...ask!

This is a tough one ladies and one we may not want to do, but ask your husband today what 3 things that you do that irritate him or bother him. Do this in the right spirit...don't defend yourself. Ask him and then be done with it. Take the things he has said to heart and try to not do those things!!


I wanted to leave you with a video that really blessed my heart...to remind you all that HE is with you....everywhere. He is in your marriage...in you home...in your finances...in your jobs....in your family. Find comfort in that my friends...and trust HIM!


3 comments:

  1. Well, how do I do this without making him know something is up? It's done...I started by apologizing and telling him I love him. I told him I am trying to work on me, I want to be different. Then, I asked him to think of 3 things that irritate him about me, and I will take them without getting my feelings hurt and work on them. So he has til tonight...I told him think of them, I am asking again. :) I guess I have today to pray that God will help me to accept them with understanding and a heart that wants to change. It is hard hearing critism about myself. I love corrective critism as a teacher, but as a wife...I love him more than my job as a teacher and will suck it up to be better for him...for Him. May the Force be with us today!!!!!
    I don't want to be RUDE!
    Stephanie
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I was designed to be a helper.

    God designed me to help my husband carry the awesome responsibility of being responsible for everything that God has placed in his care. I am not the responsible party but a helpmate. I need to conscience of my husband’s role and find ways every day to help him accomplish his godly mandate. So often I try to take the reins and steer towards my selfish desires instead of allowing him to steer us where God tells him to go. I think as wives we sometimes try to take over and make all the decisions in our families. We forget that our husbands are not another child in our care. Just as God has designed me to be a helper, God has designed my husband to be the overseer. I must not strip my husband of his perfect design by my rude and irritable attitudes and actions. He needs to be treated and recognized as the “King” of our home.

    Lord, help me to be the best helper for my overseer. Help me this day not to be rude towards my husband. Help me to treat him with a place of honor in my attitude and actions.

    This morning I told him that I am allowing the Lord to work on me. I asked him to take time throughout his day to think of three ways I irritate him. At first he did not want to dwell on that, but I emphasized that it was important for me to know what areas I need to improve on. We will see what he comes up with tonight. Remember this is the man that thought I was from another planet four days ago. I think the spacecraft has landed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy!! this one has been hard today!
    I didn't even realize how selfish I was. When you are the one being RUDE you don't see how you are acting at the time.
    **I realized today that I am very selfish when I didnt think I was that bad.
    **I realized today that my husband feels like he has no self-worth the way I treat him and talk to him at times.
    **I realized that if my husband was asked if I was a blessing or if I was condenscending and embarrassing, he would choose the latter.
    I don't feel that my rudeness is out of ignorance really, but that I am just simply "selfish" that is enought by itself I am ashamed to even say.
    I read in the study today that if I don't let love motivate me to make needed changes in my behavior, that my marriage will suffer for it.
    I don't want to be a stumbling block in my marriage anymore. I want to be an encourager to my husband, to lift him up and to make him always feel and always know that he is very important in my life.
    The things my husband listed that irritate him I would have guessed myself. I am pretty consistent with the 3 he listed and I am not proud of that at all.
    Lord, change me and help me to treat my husband with love, thoughtfulness, NO double standards in my marriage, cut pure consideration for my husband, his feelings, his needs. Lord, I really need alot of help in the 3 areas listed by my husband that irritate him. I am trusting in you Lord to make those changes in me that I obviously cannot change in myself, only you can Lord, and I know that you will. Help me to be sensitive to my husbands needs always! Help me to show him the respect and honor that he deserves!

    ReplyDelete